As death approaches, I felt the lonliness she has been feeling for a LONG time. It was in her heart. No matter how much we told her, she still longed for more and couldn't figure out where to find it.
I found it today sitting in her room. It was overwhelming. The fear I had for me as death came had me wracked with sobs, but then I felt it. HIM. HE was there. For her...for me. I don't know as I will ever forget it. The sadness of life leaving, yet the calm of just knowing it will be okay.
This has been a hell of a week. State surveyors breathing down our neck, making our lives miserable. I was spared most of it, until today. When I went to sit with a resident as she was in her final hours, I was hoping for some quiet. I didn't get it. But what I got was so much more.
Sometimes I wonder why I picked long term care social work for my profession. Today, I get it.
2 comments:
Oh God Bless You Nicole. What a gift you gave today. I am in tears and can't write much more...
Kristine
Truly awesome, Nicole. Thanks for sharing that piece of your day.
Post a Comment